The Lair of the Grammar Fairy

She may be teeny-tiny
She really is petit
But that will never stop her
From being psychopathique

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I come offering excuses, paltry paltry excuses

So I dropped off the bandwagon, big-time. Private life went Zoooooomg! And I got too busy, for real. I had no time to write. So, I decided to start this whole thing over. Today I restart the 30 day challenge and if I fail this time again, I know I'll have no excuses. This is actually day 2, I started over yesterday, however, since I'm struggling with Writers Block over a difficult scene, all I produced was this:


The library had appeared to be small at first. Sam examined the reception desk and the small office, which was empty beyond an overly private blackbird, while Keir checked out the rows of shelves.

***

And this:

Keir was positive that he had managed to keep himself awake, but somehow he must've slipped. If he deceived himself or if he had been distracted by his internal reveries he did not know, but suddenly everything went unnaturally quiet, and then he saw it.

It looked surprisingly normal for a being as old as time itself. Hadn't it been for the arcane longbow and choice of fashion Keir would've been hard-pressed to see the difference between it and any old human. He was fairly certain that it hadn't seen that he was awake, slouched back as he was, rifle hanging loosely in his hands. It went around the circle once, probably checking for a hole, before returning to its original position. Keir was confident it thought he was asleep, until the colourless eyes met his and it grinned, showing off gleaming, pointy teeth. Keir blinked, startled, and it was gone. He stared goofily for a moment where it had been before letting off a string of salty curses and banged, as successfully as can be expected, on the tent-wall.
"Sam, we're live."

***

Kinda sad. I have so much in my head, I have plotlines, concepts, ideas. I have fucking giants in there (literally, uh, almost, they're not physically manifesting, y'know.) They're there and they will be in the story and I'm determined that they will work and make sense. I have images of scenes with cool and snappy one-liners that will not be cheesy at all (the power of my spirit shall overcome the cheese! overcome, I say!). The worst is of course that all of that centres around the cool part, which is the final third of the story, I have to get there first and I better do it fast before all the cool ideas I had about the beginning go away.

Anyway, I promise another entry tonight, but I make no guarantees as far as quality goes.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home