The Lair of the Grammar Fairy

She may be teeny-tiny
She really is petit
But that will never stop her
From being psychopathique

Monday, October 09, 2006

One larp later.

There is one particular truth that will always be rediscovered after every larp:

The three finest things civilization has to offer are coffee, pizza and ice-cold beer.

That being said, the larp was both more and less fun than I had expected. The larp in question (named "On the Road" more or less) is a tiny larp with around a hundred participators the last two years. While it usually succeeds in accomplishing exactly what it intends to, cozy partying around the camp-fire in cloaks and other funny clothes, it is objectively speaking a low-quality larp. What this means is that the IC-world is underdeveloped, the intrigues are more of an entertainment than serious thread for the characters to unravel during the larp and the characters in and of themselves are often shallow, unrealistic, underdeveloped, or stereotypes of some sort. This does not mean that there aren't characters present that are round or well-developed or that some of the more shallow characters aren't damned funny, but I'm sure you understand what I'm saying here.

There's nothing wrong with a low-quality larp as long as you don't arrive expecting something more. There is a lot of merit to this larp and in it's genre I think it's one of the better ones, not to mention that the area we use is absolutely gorgeous. Think Bauer and you'll have a pretty clear idea of what the area is like. Real troll-forest with a tiny lake. Absolutely gorgeous.

My problem was that once the larp started I realized that while I was well aware of what it would be like, it just wasn't satisfactory this time, I couldn't get into character, despite trying. Things that usually haven't bothered me were extremely annoying and my thoughts kept drifting to OOC-related things.

So, while there was good IC-things (the partying, the wrestling and the midnight group-hugs to keep warm comes to mind) my enoyment stems mostly from the OOC-bits.

Having worked from eleven AM to 7 PM and finally being given a pizza is so divine I can't even being to describe it. I was an animal, that little sucker never stood a chance before my greedy fingers and gnashing teeth. thirty seconds and it was gone, no joke. I even stopped to dig out the shattered olive-seeds from between my teeth. Carrying things isn't so bad when you have company either, many interesting conversations were had about larp-equality and how to create an IC equal world without losing the realistic edge.

This was all fun, I just don't want my larps to be about the OOC-fun these days, I want to larp because I'm looking forward to being my character and the events that include. I have a sneaking feel this is what they call "developing" or possibly "evolving". Scary.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had an at least enjoyable time at your larp. I'm sorry that you weren't able to fully get into character. I fully understand the frustration that can cause. Even in a tabletop game, not being able to get into character or react with the world in a fulfilling way is just plain annoying.

I'm glad you enjoyed the environment though. It seems like the perfect place for a larp. I can only guess how large the area is based on the "On The Road" nature of the larp. Maybe you travel to different portions of the property, or try to circumnavigate the lake, maybe you enact the resting portions of the trip so you don't have to enact the miles upon miles of walking.

I'm also glad you were able to inhale your pizza without choking. I still haven't been able to manage that feat. Maybe it's the cheese...

9 October 2006 at 20:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who roleplays a lot I understand the feeling of a need for evolution within your gaming. Right now a lot of my effort is being put towards creating scenarios for CPV3 and the CPV3/CG2027 sourcebook I'm putting together, because those guys at Firestorm Ink and R. Talsorian can suck my cock, to use a colloquiallism. However, my distaste for R. Talsorian and what they've done to CP as well as the way that Firestorm Ink is rolling over and taking it is a rant for another time. Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that because I am refining my writing and game creating abilities I am also feeling a need for evolution within my roleplaying.

The fact that you were able to LARP on a large property like that, as opposed to someone's back or front yard, or even downtown somewhere, is good. While I don't LARP--never have and it really doesn't appeal to me--I can appreciate the sort of liberty you gain with that.

10 October 2006 at 02:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Point being: have fun, whether it evolves (for you) into OOC social fun-time or IC purity. Doesn't really matter as long as you enjoy it, hun.

13 October 2006 at 03:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home