The Lair of the Grammar Fairy

She may be teeny-tiny
She really is petit
But that will never stop her
From being psychopathique

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Cooking

Approximately five years ago I was more or less nagged into becoming a vegetarian. Four years later down the road I had the vauge suspicion that if I didn't want to go insane or starve to death, I would have to learn how to cook.

Cooking as an art or craft is really something quite special. Very few things combine all senses in the same way as cooking. Touch, smell, sight even hearing to a certain extent. And of course, if you want to succeed in your meal-making you need an elusive touch of a 6th cooking sense.

I like working with my hands, cooking satisifies that need to a very great deal. Chopping, cutting, stirring, kneading. At the end of a meal, you know you did something, and I'll be damned if it wasn't good.

Of course, part of it is pride, because I am honestly sick to death of people who's culinary horizone never expanded beyond the golden M telling me my food is boring, and there is no better way to prove someone wrong than with a demonstration.

Admittedly, I just like to cook with and for other people. It's a social thing I suppose. Cooking is intimate and personal, I cook with my dad a lot nowadays when he and mom are separated. And I think I will cook a lot with my mom when I move away from home, ironically enough. If my brother was in any way inclined to cook, or interested in vegetarian meals I'd probably attempt to bridge the gaping hole that is our relationship with food. Cooking solves everything. Plus, I just like getting praise for a well-done meal.

I'm certain that most people can with some effort, a good recipie and some patience cook up a spiffy Saturday-night meal. But the real masters, knows how to cook everyday. You all know those days, when you get home at 9, you've been up, about and working for the last 12 hours. Your boss is a dick, your car-tire went flat and that short bastard in the cubcicle next to yours got that promotion you'd been hoping for. Mere mortals will at this point usually say"screw it" and eat leftover, order take-out or go to bed. But the Masters, oh the Masters they throw what they can find in the fridge (a wedge of cheese, and an onion) into a pot and when they pour it onto their plate, 10 min later, they've created a culinary masterpiece. Such masters appears to be a hard find. I am however, working myself steadily towards that goal. One can dream, right?


And of course, as a final point. I like cooking because I like food and I like to eat.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cook at home a few nights a week, but far from daily. My day job keeps me in the kitchen 35-45 hours a week, and as such, I’m rarely motivated to display my skills, even if necessity forces it. If I were doing something white collar, and still had the same experience, I’d imagine I’d be a fine at-home chef. I’ve always had a great handle on the timing and seasoning of meals.

In any case, it’s a worthy venture, and a rare one for your/our generation. People just don’t know how to cook anymore. And it can easily be art, especially with vegetarian dishes, which--as you know--require a bit more effort.

24 October 2006 at 22:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you've found something that you like and enjoy doing as a social experience. It's always a great thing to have that skill in your back pocket. It's also a big confidence boost to know you're on your way to becoming a Master.

As for cooking every night of the week... I'm fairly good at throwing whatever's in the house together into something enjoyable, but I don't do it anywhere near every day. If I were par chance getting home at 9 at night, I might feel the motivation. But getting home at 11 and knowing you've gotta eat/shower/get to bed, before waking up at about 5 for work again, that motivation somehow finds it's way into other activities, such as sleeping.

31 October 2006 at 12:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home