The Lair of the Grammar Fairy

She may be teeny-tiny
She really is petit
But that will never stop her
From being psychopathique

Thursday, November 02, 2006

I see dumb people

They don't know they're dumb. Quite honestly, I am absolutely certain that they're unaware of their own moronitude, otherwise they wouldn't be acting this way.

To fill you in on some background info:

I had a really shitty day at work.

For those of you not in the know, my job consists of convincing people on the streets to donate money to Greenpeace on a regular basis. In other words, I work in sales. I sell you a good conscience. Or I would, if you people would fucking stop and talk to me.

This rant is however, not about those people.

It amazes me to no end how absolutely idiotic people will act when you are in a foul mood. Let it be well-known that I do not share my bad mood with people I hardly know unless someone specificly enquires for my state of well-being. Let it also be known that I tend to answer such questions honestly.

I don't consider myself a whiny person, or someone who gives up easily, but there comes a point when you've forced yourself to jump back on the wagon so many times that it's time to face the fact and cut your losses. Some days are not worth any investement. It boggles me to no end that people will see fit to inform me of the most mind-numbingly obvious facts of life such as:

  • Tomorrow is a new day
  • Don't take it personally
  • All jobs suck sometimes
  • Everyone has bad days every now and then

If we momentarily put aside how incredibly condescending and demeaning it is to assume that anyone who has even half their wits about them haven't realised these things, these people have the audacity to tell you this in a cheery, perky voice. As if the very fact that other people suffer shitty days right now, all over the world, in this very instance is supposed to make you feel better. Either that, or you're an ungrateful spoiled brat for daring to feel that your day was shitty because ohmyfuck the children in Africa are fucking starving to death.

What the hell happened to granting a person some space and integrity to bounce back in?

Honestly, if your comfort at the end of a shitty day does not involve a pipe, a whiskey and a hug I don't want to fucking see you.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if my comfort at the end of a shitty day involves insulting all and sundry? Do you still want to see me?

2 November 2006 at 22:33  
Blogger M said...

I do, because you're not perky. And creative insults cheer me up.

2 November 2006 at 22:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rage. I love it! You seem quite capable of coping so I won't placate your emotions in the least.

Burn the world!

2 November 2006 at 22:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. I stopped drinking whiskey. And I don't smoke. Unless it's the kind of lead pipe you ease to beat the stupidity out of people.

I like those.

6 November 2006 at 02:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, actually. I mean, so maybe it's painfully obvious that "all job sucks sometimes" and that there are bad days sometimes, and good days as well. Isn't it true also that some people forget that? Oh, maybe not you, but when people are depressed, it's not that they suddenly don't know these things, but they stop thinking about how "shit happens" and simply drown in thier own sadness. How's reminding them that it's just bad luck (or something like that), and that it'll pass "stupid"?

You might as well say comforting is stupid then, since there isn't really anything they can tell you that would be news. And I suppose you can say that people should just shut up, and say nothing, but words are the easiest medium, especially for those who are that well aquainted.

They're just trying to inject some optimism.

Not that I don't hate stupid people, but, you know.

8 November 2006 at 15:57  
Blogger M said...

"How's reminding them that it's just bad luck (or something like that), and that it'll pass "stupid"?"

Because there is a difference between having a shitty day and being depressed. Obviously. Telling someone who is clinically depressed something inane as "life/work/school/whatever sucks sometimes for everyone" is pretty damn disrespectful of their emotional state too, I might add.

"You might as well say comforting is stupid then, since there isn't really anything they can tell you that would be news."

That's not the same thing, as the act of comforting someone isn't restricted to the action of verbally attempting to cheer someone up with a set of lifeless platitudes.

"but words are the easiest medium, especially for those who are that well aquainted."

I disagree.

"They're just trying to inject some optimism."

And since it's the thought thatcounts rather than the actual result I should just shut it, be happy and put up with it, right?

"Not that I don't hate stupid people, but, you know."

No, I don't. Please feel free to inform me, because obviously I've missed some kind of memo here.

9 November 2006 at 00:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*aren't

I could've phrased all that a hell lot better. I don't prefer company of people who don't think about what they say, though I'm not much of an example either. Still, the message gets across fine enough, if rather tactlessly in some cases.

27 March 2007 at 16:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home